WALKING TOUR AW6
Chora –Monastery of Chozoviotissa – Asfondylitis – Potamos – Aegiali
From 1 to 7 participants | Level: Medium to hard
This is one of the most popular hikes on Amorgos island as it follows the old path linking the central part of Amorgos to the area of Aegiali at the north.
Price per person: from 70.00€*
* Please check all pricing details below.
We will start our walk descending from Chora, the capital of the island, towards the impressive Monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissa, the patron saint and landmark of Amorgos. We will visit the Monastery and have a close look at this amazing 1000-year-old structure and the views to the endless blue it offers. In continuation, we will follow marked path No 1 on the southern slopes of Mount Profitis Ilias, a beautiful hike amid one of the most breathtaking sceneries of the Aegean. After passing the areas of Theoskepasti, Xenodochio and Kapsala, we will arrive at the abandoned rural settlement of Asfontylitis, where we will have lunch at the only restaurant giving life to this remote location. We will then walk through the old village, famous for its stone engravings, continuing the path towards the area of Aegiali. After passing the saddle, we will walk along the northern slopes and have a clear view of the bay of Aegiali. The first village we will cross is Potamos, from where we will descend towards the port and bay of Aegiali.
To enter monasteries, visitors are required to wear long trousers/skirts and cover their shoulders. Even though clothes might be available at the entrance, we recommend you bring your own. Women’s skirts/dresses must cover the knees. Trousers are not allowed for women.
Availability: All year round
Languages: Greek, English, French, Spanish
MEETING POINT: Chora, at the upper parking next to the high school “Kalogeriko”
Starting time: – 9:00 am (from September to 15 June)
– 7:00 am (from 16 June to 31 August)
Duration: 8 hours
Difficulty level: Medium to hard
Number of participants: 1-7 persons
INCLUDED: Walking tour, visit to the Monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissa, lunch
|No of pers.||4-7||1-3|
- AW1 Walk Katapola – Valsamitis – Katapola
- AW2 Walk Circular path Xylokeratidi – Katapola
- AW3 Walk Chora – Katapola
- AW4 Walk Katapola – Milies (circular)
- AW5 Walk Chora – Kapsala (circular)
- AW6 Walk Chora – Chozoviotissa – Aegiali
- AW7 Walk Aegiali-Tholaria-Langada (circular)
- AW8 Walk Langada – Theologos – Stavros (circular)
- AW9 Walk Langada – Machos windmills (circular)
- AW10 Walk Aegiali – Tholaria – beaches (circular)
- AW11 Walk Vroutsi – Katapola
- AW12 Walk Circular path Vroutsi-Kamari
Extra walking tours can be arranged according to your preferences and desired level of difficulty. Only upon request and depending on weather conditions.